WHY YOU NEED TO HAVE INSURANCE WHEN YOU TRAVEL
*the below policy description refers to Plan A. To review all of the insurance plans available please click here.
Benefits of IEP’s insurance include:
- As an IEP member you’re eligible for exclusive discounts.
- 24 hour international assistance when required.
- Premium levels of cover on the important things.
- Cover while you’re working AND travelling.
- Easily extendable for up to two years – simply email or call IEP.
- IEP can assist you with claims.
- Some pre-existing conditions are covered.
- The policy is actually issued by IEP, and is therefore supported by the expertise of specialist insurance-trained IEP staff.
What Is Covered – Quick Reference Guide
- Medical and hospital costs unlimited.
- Emergency dental treatment up to $1,000.
- Baggage if lost, damaged or stolen up to $8,000
- Camera, video and laptop are automatically covered up to $3,000
- You can buy extra cover for more expensive individual items (except jewellery) up to $5,000 in total
- Travel costs if you have to change your travel because you fall ill, or an immediate relative falls ill or dies, or you are delayed by weather or strikes
- Cancellation costs if you have to cancel because you or an immediate relative fall ill or die.
- Purchase of essential items if your luggage is delayed.
- Terrorism, except for cancellation fees, travel delays and alternative transport expenses.
- Lots of other things – check out the brochure!
What Is Not Covered
- Pre-existing illnesses (including asthma, epilepsy), unless you have declared them when you take out the policy – you may have to pay an extra premium.
- Everything when you are drunk or under the influence of illegal drugs.
- Everything that is a result of you breaking the law, including your visa requirements
- Baggage left unsupervised in any public place (like a plane or bus)
- Sporting equipment while in use.
Why You Have To Have It
- Things can go wrong when you’re travelling.
- Many costs, especially medical costs, are much higher overseas.
- Most Australian insurance – Medicare, private health insurance, household contents insurance, credit card insurance – will not apply overseas or will be inadequate.
- It’s a program requirement that you’re properly insured.
- Read the brochure from cover to cover and take it with you.
- Ask IEP before you leave if there’s anything you don’t understand.
- Carry your emergency assistance card with you at all times.
- Check that the dates on your policy certificate match your travel dates
- Leave a copy of your brochure, policy certificate and emergency card at home with Mum and Dad
Insurance Claim Form
Travelling at the moment, or just returned home from an amazing working holiday? Click here to complete a claim form.
Product Disclose Document
Full policy documents are available by clicking on the link below.
Download the up to date PDS + SPDS eff 06-2018 here.