ARE YOU ELIGIBLE TO WORK IN JAPAN?
Thats a great question! There are some strict criteria to meet if you are wanting to live and work in Japan. To be eligible you must satisfy in full the criteria listed below:
Working Holiday Visa for Japan
- Be an Australian citizen with a valid Australian passport residing in Australia and be able to apply in person
- Be aged between 18 to 30 years (inclusive) at time of application
- Have no dependent children
- Be in good health and have no criminal record
- Have not previously obtained a Work Holiday Visa for Japan (on a passport of any country)
- Provide proof of sufficient funds to support initial stay in Japan – at least AU$2,500
- Register for the National Health Insurance Scheme
- Be travelling on a return/onward passage ticket, or have additional proof of funds to show you can purchase such a ticket (further AU$1,000)
You should allow at least 8-12 weeks for the complete process from submitting your initial application to having your visa issued; however it can take longer depending on if you have medical or background issues or if the processing time increases.
Remember that your main reason for visiting Japan is to holiday and that any work should be casual/temporary to supplement funds. Therefore, your application must show as much detail as possible to all the places you would like to visit and activities you would like to engage in.
Australians who are travelling or living abroad will not be eligible.
In accordance with the conditions of the Working Holiday Scheme, the visa can only be issued as a single entry visa and is valid for an initial stay of 6 months, which will commence from the day of entry into Japan. Applications for extensions of your period of stay can be made at an Immigration Office in Japan, however please note that extensions are granted at the discretion of the Department of Immigration in Japan and no guarantee that an extension will be granted.